Tuesday, March 15, 2016

One Week Ago

It was this time last week that I was emerging from anesthesia and getting my bearings in the ICU at Asante Rogue Regional Medical Center. An update on what's happened since then:

I am largely OK. Using pain meds at a far lower rate than Rx allows, eating normally, taking my antibiotics. Vision didn't come back as quickly as last time (when it was noticeably better upon awakening), but it has crept back over recent days and I no longer have the cloudy sense when things are happening wide right of me. It may not recover fully, but it will again be functional for at least another seven years. Speaking of another seven years, I will plan my insurance package purchases more in tune with what might loom, so the deductible and out of pocket hits are far less extreme. I also don't want this to become a routine, so here's hoping science and technology gains some ground on my condition in the next half decade.

The effort to raise money to help me online is keeping pace with the bills. I haven't received the 'next wave' yet, and have gotten the 30 days or older notice on the MRI. That is my next payment, just over $2k. I expect I have about $1k per surgeon still to go. I'll post some specifics when I get the next round. The fundraising and what I've actually sent out are within a few hundred dollars of each other, so that's been a real help, but the woods are not behind me, yet. The remaining effort is about $5.5k from met and the remaining bills are about $4.5k known and a still some unknowns. My hope is I won't /need/ to raise it all, but it will sure be a relief if I do.

The MealTrain effort has been wonderful and tasty. Good food so far from families of a couple of my students, both of whom I have broader connections to that predate the current kid in the classroom. It's made life much easier to simply heat up some chicken or soup rather than wonder what there might be to eat.

My classroom is well in hand and my sub is a wonderful facilitator for my lesson content, as well as for communicating directly and for helping students to stay in contact via the appropriate school mechanisms. Makes this a lot easier than it might otherwise be.

I am enjoying spending time with Robert and look forward to being able to supervise (though not really pitch in) on some work being done here at the house. 

No comments :