Wednesday, April 6, 2016

Money: Who has it and where it goes

A short reflection today on two events from the past 24 hours...

#1 was a unforeseen consequences of something really good that went sideways, but then straightened out.  Last month, the MRI bill was just north of $2k. I figured I'd do half at the time and then half again. So I sent $1000 via my bank's bill pay system.

But THEN I got an EOB from my insurance carrier detailing a recoding and indicating the new MRI balance would be just over $340. (Thanks, MB, for the work on that end, btw!!!)

THEN I got this month's MRI bill showing that $340 amount and no recent payments.

Turns out that the account I had with the same provider was NOT the account number for the current visit. So my $1000 had gone into the ether to whence, we knew not. But phone calls were made and payment details passed on and today, I have been credited with the payment; MRI is paid in full and refund is en route via EFT and can be applied to something else.

#2 was a note from our friends at the IRS, wishing to confirm the return filed in my name and with my SS# was in fact filed by me. I am not due a refund this year (I underwithheld), but someone else submitted some other numbers that apparently supported them getting a nice comfy refund. And while they have been waiting, the IRS decided it was fishy. Good IRS. Let's make sure they remain adequately funded, shall we? The only real consequence for me is that I may NOT file electronically this year or possibly in the next several years. BuhBye TaxSlayer :P

No comments :