Monday, November 2, 2020

Gaming Table Build - Pre-planning

I got back into Tabletop RPGs this past year. Apparently they are cool and even trendy? now... Last time I regularly played was the 2nd Ed D&D game at SOU with Nancy, Matt, Claire, and occasional others - 1992ish... before that it was the Wesleyan sessions, usually at Dave Gilder's that wrapped up in 1988-9 and the Phoenix High group that started at Name of the Game in Medford and moved to private homes once we were all able to drive. 

I have also always had a carpentry bug and think making some nice, purpose built furniture might make for a nice project during this incredibly horked up time. 

So the idea of a gaming table has been percolating. But boy, howdy, YouTube has some DIY builds that ... are built by DIYers, not by woodworkers. The biggest issue seems to be that they want them to be "sturdy" so they make wood choices where each individual piece is sturdy all on its own. And then they assemble this mix of 2x4's and 2x6's and 3/4" plywood into these 4'x8' monstrosities that are likely the second heaviest thing ever to occupy their garage (after the car). Turns out my theatre background isn't just useful in the RP portion of RPGs -- it also helps me understand how to make something both durable and light enough to move (with the lights out, in under 30 seconds). 

SO. The preplanning phase has got me to a basic plan for the framing and playing surface. I am still working out elevated rails, mood lighting, power support, and a TV? Nothing will be beefier than a 1x4 or 5/8" ply, even the legs will be a hollow build using 1x4 (or maybe even 1x3). We will be relying on glue, pneumatic nailed brads and crown staples, and pocket screws. IF i decide to make the legs removable, I may bave a bolt and t nut situation there. My objective is something I can get around the house on my own, and not two strong buddies and 30 minutes to get it to a different room.

More to come...

1 comment :

John Doty said...

Of course... When will I ever get to use this creation, should I ever get around to it?