Sunday, November 15, 2020

Gaming Table Build - Considerations

 There are a lot of things going into the specs side of this planning phase:

ONLY a gaming table? Do I want it to do double duty as an eating surface? If so, how to I mitigate spill issues vis a vis the vault? Spills in general? If I do cup holders cut into the table, I wreck the dining room aesthetic. Do I engineer magnet or slotted (or both) add-ons? More on that below...

The Vault, you say? Yes. Key to this whole thing is a recessed space that can contain scenic elements and dice rolls. The first limiting factor there: My LED Ribbon light only spans 16'. That will limit the dimension of the vault.

How many at the table? I am thinking I usually want 4 or 5 at the table. If it can support two on each side and one on each end, then I can have 5 PCs in a group. 

Usable surface: Do players get a wide ledge? An undershelf? Side mounted auxiliary surfaces? From the get go, or built to accept them later.

Video? I mean... maybe?

Is this going to be a cabinetry level woodworking project? Or a DiY carpentry project... my tool rig and shop space is up for the latter, but needs some upgrades for the former. My skills need some upgrades for the former, too.


No comments :